Does BMTC KIAS buses accept UPI?

The short answer is yes, BMTC KIAS buses accept UPI and other cashless payment options, offering passengers more convenient ways to pay for their fares. However, cashless payment options may not be available due to server issues or the conductor’s preference for cash payments.

BMTC Vayu Vajra KIA-8D Sarjapur Road to Airport buses during inauguration
Source: X/Citizens Movement, East Bengaluru

BMTC (Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation) operates the KIAS (Kempegowda International Airport Service) bus service from Kempegowda International Airport (KIA) in Bengaluru, providing a reliable and cost-effective alternative to pricey taxi options like Uber and Ola, which often exceed one thousand rupees in fare.

These buses run round the clock, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, offering convenient transportation options to travelers. The KIAS bus service operates on various routes, each with different frequencies to accommodate passengers’ needs.

To enhance passenger convenience, BMTC KIAS buses accept cashless payment options like UPI. However, it’s essential to note that sometimes these cashless payment options may not be available. This could occur due to server issues or the conductor’s preference for cash payments, for reasons unknown.

To gauge the ground reality, we interviewed 10 BMTC KIAS passengers. According to them, cashless payment options are successful 99% of the time, with only occasional failures.

One frequent traveler, Rajiv Roy, who relies solely on the BMTC KIA 8D from Airport to Sarjapur Road for his commute from the airport to his home, shared his experience:

“As a frequent user of airport buses for my daily commute, I have observed that they accept UPI payments successfully 99% of the time. However, in the remaining 1% of instances, challenges may arise due to server disruptions or conductors’ preference for cash transactions. Additionally, it appears that there may be a daily UPI transaction limit, prompting a temporary suspension of UPI payments until the following day. Therefore, passengers traveling late at night are advised to carry cash as a precautionary measur.”

What to do if UPI Payment is Not Available?

In the rare event that UPI payment is unavailable on BMTC KIAS buses, it is advisable to carry a small amount of cash to cover the bus fare, typically around 400 rupees.

This precaution ensures readiness for unforeseen circumstances when electronic payment methods are not operational.

Alternatively, passengers can approach fellow travelers for assistance in covering the fare in cash, with the option to reimburse them via UPI transfer.

Particularly for late-night travel, it is prudent to have a reserve of cash on hand for added convenience and peace of mind.

You can also ensure that the specific BMTC KIAS bus is accepting cashless options like UPI before boarding it.

Here’s what you can do to be certain:

  • Ask the conductor: The most reliable way to know for sure is to ask the conductor directly when boarding the bus. They can confirm if they accept cash, UPI, or both for KIAS buses specifically.
  • Look for signage: Newer BMTC buses with UPI functionality might have signage indicating they accept cashless payments or display a QR code.

Convenient Ways to Pay BMTC KIAS Bus Fare Using UPI

To pay the fare using UPI, passengers have several convenient options:

  1. Scan the QR code displayed on the bus.
  2. Enter the amount and UPI PIN in their preferred UPI app.
  3. Wait for the conductor to issue the ticket after the payment is successfully processed.

Passengers can utilize popular UPI apps such as Google Pay, PhonePe, and Paytm to pay their fares seamlessly. It’s worth noting that each bus features a unique QR code for payment purposes.

Furthermore, passengers have the option to purchase BMTC passes (daily, weekly, monthly) through a mobile app and complete the payment using UPI or other digital modes for added convenience and flexibility.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *